Online Help : Account Maintenance and Transactions
There are a number of transactions shareholders can complete online:
Exchanges: Most account owners can make exchanges between funds, provided the exchange is to a fund in the same share class.
Purchases: Shareholders who have properly submitted bank instructions can purchase shares to their bank on file via Automatic Clearing House (ACH). If this option is available, it will be indicated in your online account information.
Redemptions: Most non-retirement accounts can be redeemed by sending a check to the address of record. Or, if you have properly submitted bank instructions, you can redeem shares to your bank of record via ACH. At this time, IRA accounts do not have the capability to be redeemed online.
Distributions: You can update your options for dividend and capital gain distributions from mutual funds. Most shareholders elect to have the distributions sent out as a check to their address of record, or reinvest to purchase more shares of the fund or another fund you may have set up. With the proper bank instructions, shareholders can have those distributions sent via ACH to the bank account on file.
There are three ways to do this:
- Log in to your account and select "address change" in the Select an Action drop down menu.
- Call Shareholder Services at 800.345.6611 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET. (Please have your account number and social security number available when calling.)
- Write a letter specifying the former and new addresses, your fund name and your account number, and signed by the account owner(s). Mail to the address located under our Contact Us section.
Please note whenever an address is changed, there is a 30-day hold on redemptions that would be sent by check. These checks cannot be requested over the phone, but must come in writing using a Redemption Request Form with a medallion signature guarantee. This restriction does not apply for redemptions by ACH or wire transfer to bank instructions that we have on file.
In order to add or change the bank information on your mutual fund account, you will need to complete and return the Application for Account Services Form, signed by all current account owner(s) exactly as the name(s) appear in the mutual fund account registration.
You may also submit a letter of instruction, which should include:
- The name of the financial institution
- The bank account number (please designate the account as savings or checking)
- The ACH routing number (also called the ABA number).
- A copy of a voided check (or deposit slip if a savings account)
- If you intend to continue or institute a systematic electronic purchase of mutual fund shares, please indicate the dollar amount of and the day of the month for your purchases.
In addition to the account privilege of purchase by electronic transfer, if you intend to continue or institute the privilege of redemption by electronic transfer, your letter or Application for ACH Electronic Funds Transfer form should include a signature validation program or medallion signature guarantee stamp.
In order to change the name on an account, we require the following information:
- Name Change Authorization Form or letter of instruction signed by account owner using both the new and old/current names, bearing either a signature validation program stamp or a medallion signature guarantee.
- A certified copy of the marriage certificate or legal document affecting the name change AND a Name Change Authorization Form or letter of instruction signed using both the new and old names (no signature validation program stamp or medallion signature guarantee required).
Please mail this information to the address found in the Contact Us section.
Columbia Management offers a Systematic Investment Plan for all of our mutual funds, which authorizes electronic drafts from your bank checking or savings account for a minimum of $100 for non-retirement accounts or $50 for retirement accounts. Effective 8/1/2011, all subsequent purchase minimums will be eliminated for all share classes.
In order to set up a Systematic Investment Plan for your Columbia Funds account, please complete and mail the Application for Account Services Form with your banking information. You must include your account number on the first page of the application.
Columbia Management offers a Transfer on Death account registration option for non-retirement accounts. This registration allows account proceeds to pass to a named beneficiary upon death of the account owner. You can add this feature to a new or existing account by submitting a Transfer on Death Registration Request Form to us.
Some funds offer the option of writing checks to redeem mutual fund shares. First, check your fund’s prospectus to verify that check writing is an option. If so, complete and mail a Checkwriting Signature Card Form and have it stamped with either a signature validation program or medallion signature guarantee stamp. Please allow up to 3 weeks for the delivery of your first checkbook by mail.
Checkbook reorders will not automatically be sent to the shareholder. The shareholder must call or write to request a new checkbook. Each reordered checkbook includes 15 checks. Our phone number and address information can be found in "Contact Us" by clicking "Mutual Funds" under Investor contact information on the top right of this page.
If there are shares of a mutual fund that must be divided due to divorce, we require the following:
- Non-Retirement Accounts
- New Account Application signed by the person receiving the funds.
- Transfer of Ownership Request Form filled out by the current account owner OR person receiving the funds, medallion signature guaranteed.
- If this is filled out by the person receiving the funds, we also require a copy of the final divorce decree that states in specific language how the funds are to be divided.
- Retirement Accounts
Columbia can process a gift of mutual fund shares to a charitable organization. Please provide the following required information:
- A letter from the owner of the shares that requests the transfer (specific share balance or dollar amount), medallion signature guaranteed.
- New Account Application filled out by the receiving organization.
- A Certificate of Authorization for the charitable organization, showing who is authorized to trade on the account, filled out by the secretary of the organization and affixed with a corporate seal (if a seal is not available, a signature validation program or medallion signature guarantee stamp are acceptable).
The purpose of a medallion signature guarantee is to authenticate your signature. The medallion signature guarantee also carries with it certain statutory warranties that we rely on. Only a person who has been formally authorized may execute a medallion signature guarantee on behalf of their organization.
A medallion signature guarantee generally may be obtained from a bank, savings and loan association, or a member of these recognized stock exchanges: Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Program (STAMP), Stock Exchanges Medallion Program (SEMP), and New York Stock Exchange Medallion Signature Program (MSP). You also may be able to obtain a medallion signature guarantee from a credit union provided it is authorized to guarantee signatures. We are unable to accept notarizations.
The purpose of the signature validation program stamp is to authenticate your signature for requests that do not directly involve the sale/redemption or transfer of securities. The signature validation program stamp also carries with it certain statutory warranties that we rely on. Only a person who has been formally authorized may execute a signature validation program (SVP) stamp on behalf of their organization.
A signature validation program stamp generally may be obtained from a bank, savings and loan association, or a member of these recognized stock exchanges: Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Program (STAMP), Stock Exchanges Medallion Program (SEMP), and New York Stock Exchange Medallion Signature Program (MSP). You also may be able to obtain a signature validation program stamp from a credit union provided it is authorized to guarantee signatures. We are unable to accept notarizations.